Sunday, May 16, 2010

The Cambric

As I set my sights on summer, I am about to post a recipe for my favorite winter drink: The Cambric. This is also fantastic on a camping trip or sitting around the fire on a cool evening roasting vegetarian marshmallows with your closest friends.

What is a cambric? It is basically a drink made of sugar and steamed milk, flavored with tea. Laura Ingalls Wilder refers to this drink in her Little House series of novels about growing up in a pioneer family. It was a popular drink in the 18th and 19th centuries due to the wide availability of the ingredients. Widely considered a children's drink, it often served as a "gateway" beverage to stronger teas and coffee.

As I kick off summer sitting in the Salida Cafe in Salida, CO enjoying their version of The Cambric, I will share my own. There are endless variations and possibilities for this, so experiment. Let me know if you come up with something you love!

Ingredients

Soy Milk (or milk of choice)
Natural sweetener of choice (I use raw sugar, agave, or sucanat, Salida Cafe uses a shot of vanilla syrup, not so natural, but pretty yummy)
Tea of Choice (I have to admit, I am totally addicted to Earl Grey and haven't been able to talk myself into trying anything else. Although a simple tea bag or two will do, this loose leaf Earl Grey from Dragonwater Tea Company (also available at Wabi Sabi in Taos, NM) is SO amazing! Other spicy teas would also be great-Good Earth Original, any chai, etc.
Optional: A tiny bit of vanilla, or better yet, include 1/2 vanilla bean while steaming the milk

Directions
Steam the milk (stovetop, microwave, or if you have a steamer that will froth it too...heaven)
Dissolve sweetener in hot milk
Steep tea (I like mine strong so I use more than the suggested amount for a cup of tea)

Mild, slightly sweet, creamy, delicious.....bring on the summer camping!

No comments: