Sunday, March 21, 2010

Chickpea and Mango Curry














I experiment
ed with a new recipe, one that Jim picked out from Mollie Katzen's (of Moosewood fame) new cookbook, Get Cooking. This was a recipe that wouldn't have caught my eye, but I'm glad it caught his because it was delicious and very easy! I have modified the recipe to make it vegan, and also added spinach for nutrition and color.

Mollie has a great website with a ton of recipes worth checking out: www.molliekatzen.com


Chickpea and Mango Curry

1 T. canola or peanut oil
1 tsp. non-dairy margarine (I like Earth Balance)
1 medium onion, diced
1 heaping T. curry powder
1/2 tsp. salt
Three cups or two 15 oz. cans of chickpeas
2 heaping cups of frozen mango chunks (about 12 oz.)
A few handfuls of baby spinach
Light coconut milk (optional)
A few dashes of cayenne pepper

1. Heat oil and Earth Balance in a heavy skillet over medium heat. Add onion, curry powder, and salt. Cook for about 5 min. until onion begins to soften.

2. Add rinsed and drained chickpeas to skillet, stirring until coated with curry-onion mixture. Turn heat to medium low and continue to cook for 5 minutes.

3. Stir in the mango, cover and let cook for 5 more minutes. Check to see if the curry needs more liquid to create a sauce. If so add 1/2 cup of water, or coconut milk. Add baby spinach. Cover again and cook for 10 minutes.

4. If you have the patience and time, let it sit off the heat for 10 more minutes for the flavors to develop. If not (and I didn't) serve over basmati rice with a dusting of cayenne on top.

Some variations: Substitute peaches for the mangos, serve with lime wedges on the side, garnish with finely diced shallot, onion, or cilantro, top with toasted cashews or roasted peanuts.

Notes: I added more curry powder and salt. The original recipe doesn't call for spinach, but I added it to incorporate a vegetable and add color contrast. I did not use the coconut milk, but I think it would really be a nice addition. I cook extra rice and freeze it so that a recipe like this is very fast to make on a weeknight.

3 comments:

Kate said...

Yum, yum, YUM!! I'm putting frozen mango on my grocery list right now. Another great one for an allergen-free meal. Thanks!!!

Katrina said...

That sounds sooo good. I'm hungry.

Peihan said...

I've been making this every week- so good! Thanks for sharing :)