Sunday, February 21, 2010

Pomegranate Vinaigrette

Oh how I adore this simple little dressing!

Pomegranate Vinaigrette

1 garlic clove, minced
1 shallot, minced
1/3 c. pomegranate juice
1/2 c. good quality extra virgin olive oil
2 Tb. balsamic vinegar
1 Tb. of Dijon mustard* plus agave to taste
sea salt to taste

Combine all ingredients with hand held blender for best results. You could also use a whisk, but it will not stay emulsified. Will keep refrigerated for 1 week (but I doubt it will last that long!)

This is fantastic with baby spinach, thinly sliced apple or pear, avocado, toasted walnuts or pecans, dried cranberries, cherries, or blueberries (or a combination) or fresh pomegranate seeds.



*The original recipe is from CLEAN FOOD by Terry Walters and calls for a 'zesty honey mustard' but I used a creamy Dijon with a bit of agave to sub for the honey.

I should note that personally I will always choose to use less of a full fat dressing than resort to a low-fat dressing. You can use less because the oil helps coat the salad better. However, feel free to experiment with the proportions if you want to cut back on the oil.

3 comments:

Katrina said...

This sounds amazing! I'm going to try this!

Holli said...

Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog -- and to Katrina for introducing us. I love cooking blogs, and especially vegetarian cooking blogs. I'll add you to my google reader and will keep up with your masterpieces. There are quite a few recipes here I'll be flagging and trying.

Happy Cooking,
Holli
http://feedingthebigguy.blogspot.com

Katrina said...

Ok, Trace. Tried this and LOVED it. It lasts me about one week and is sooo delicious. You rock. Keep the recipe's comin'. I'm doing lots of experimenting lately and love the inspiration!