Saturday, February 13, 2010

Guilty Pleasure- Biscuits and Gravy

A decade ago, I had never had biscuits and gravy before. In fact, I had never even heard of them, until on our honeymoon Jim was craving them for breakfast. As he enjoyed his biscuits and gravy, of course made with sausage gravy, I looked on, intrigued by this newly discovered comfort food. I even felt a little disappointed not to try them. Fast forward many years: It was actually my father-in-law Karl, who raises grass fed beef and is a die-hard meat eater, who taught me a kinder method of preparation. I am still to this day grateful for this lesson! And now, this is Jim's favorite breakfast (for special occasions only, since this is clearly NOT health food!)

Biscuits and Gravy - Veg Style

Biscuit ingredients
1 2/3 c. unbleached all-purpose flour (can sub up to half whole wheat)
1 T. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2/3 c. non-dairy milk*
1/3 c. canola oil

Gravy ingredients
Your choice of veg sausage
3-4 T. of non-dairy butter**
3-4 T. flour
3 c. non-diary milk
salt and freshly ground pepper

Whisk together dry biscuit ingredients. Add wet biscuit ingredients and stir with a fork to combine. Batter will be very thick. Drop by spoonfuls onto a greased cookie sheet and bake a 475 degrees for 8-10 minutes.

Meanwhile....

Cook sausage according to package directions.

Melt butter in a heavy bottomed saute pan over medium heat. Add flour and cook for 1-2 minutes. Slowly add milk and stir regularly. As the mixture heats up, the flour and butter will gradually combine with the milk to thicken it. (This roux recipe is based on my 1951 Better Homes and Garden cookbook-"borrowed" from my mother when I moved out of her house -thanks Mom!) When gravy is thick, add salt and freshly ground pepper to taste (this is good with lots of pepper!). Stir in the cooked sausage.

Serve gravy over biscuits and sit around and groan since you will probably eat way too much.

*I am a big fan of Westsoy Organic Unsweetened Soymilk. It has a nice neutral flavor for cooking and no added sweetener.
**Earth Balance is my go to non-dairy butter. Yum!

3 comments:

Marlene aka LuckyDog said...

this is great, I can't wait to try it! biscuits and gravy was one of my fave things to eat when I was a meat eater. sigh, boy do I miss it, and bacon, and butter and...well you know. Thanks for sharing this!
ps. I'm incognito as vegmoo from the ww vb!

Lyn said...

Mmmmm! Gotta love comfort food!

Kate said...

This sounds great! I can't wait to try the gravy for Chloe. Where do you get the non-dairy butter? Sounds like something she could have. I wonder if I could make the biscuits gf?