Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Vietnamese Rice Noodle Salad

When I got home from work tonight, not only did I want a snack, but I needed to make lunch for tomorrow. I got an urge to make this salad, inspired by a very fresh and clean tasting rice noodle salad that I enjoyed at the Saigon Cafe in Colorado Springs while at a conference recently. I just happened to have the ingredients on hand. I cooked a whole package of rice noodles and also happened to have rice paper on hand to make spring rolls (that was my snack!) with tofu and peanut sauce....mmmmmm!

Warning: I just threw this together and didn't really measure, so use your best judgment. These measures below are pretty close, but a guess on my part!

Vietnamese Rice Noodle Salad

4 oz. dry thin rice noodles

1/4 fresh squeezed lime juice
1-2 Tb. tamari
1-2 tsp. sesame oil
1 tsp. grated ginger

1-2 Tb slivered fresh basil
2 carrots, grated
1/2 cucumber, peeled, seeded, and sliced into matchsticks
1-2 cups chopped napa cabbage or romaine lettuce

1/4 chopped peanuts
4-8 oz. tofu, lightly fried in a tiny amount of peanut oil (Optional)

Boil a large pot of water. When it comes to a boil, remove from the heat and put the dry noodles in the hot water to soak for 10 minutes. Rinse with cold water and strain.

While noodles are soaking, combine lime juice, sesame oil, tamari, and ginger and whisk to make the dressing.

Toss the noodles with the dressing and vegetables, top with peanuts and optional tofu.

This could also work with scallions, red pepper sliced into thin strips, mint or cilantro.

No comments: